So I wrote a little thing about Boston sports summer storylines knowing very well that this topic was going to come up. You know, Bay Area sports storylines.
Here, again, I’m dividing them by individual team. Now, because the Bay Area obviously has more teams than Boston, I’ll just have to write more. But you know who comes first….
1. The Giants are fighting for the NL West and/or wildcard — Why is it that every time I tune in to the Giants, the black and orange are blowing a game that they needed in order to take a steady hold of the National League West. The other night, Tim Lincecum was roughed up. Barry Zito, who has been surprisingly good, got ripped to shreds the other night and Jonathan Sanchez has learned a valuable lesson about opening his pie hole. But all-in-all, the G-men are only one game behind in the West and in the wildcard. At 67-53 on the year, they’ve been erratic at the worst time. They’re 4-6 in their last 10 games and it’s caused me to have goosebumps every time my Scorecenter app goes off on my phone. Why can’t Timmy just go all Cy Young on the Padres?
- Giants fall to wildcard rivals — by Henry Schulman, San Francisco Chronicle
2. Alex Smith is still QB No. 1 for the 49ers — I cannot tell you exactly how bad I feel about this without sounding like Alex’s mortal enemy. Me and this man are at odds people. (Woosah …. Woosah.) If Mike Singletary ever wishes to make a fan out of me in the sort of fanboy sense most idiots are, he’s going to have to trade Alex for someone worthwhile. I have been perpetually against this clown for more than three years. (Woosah …. Woosah … Woosah.) But it’s been to no avail. I’m on the brink here people, and yet, it’s only preseason Game 2. This story made me think there was something ill-gotten … even Alex knows.
- Despite beating the Colts, 49ers offense looked rusty — by David White, San Francisco Chronicle
- Nate Davis to get ‘meaningful’ snaps – by Kevin Lynch, 49ers Insider
3. Change of owners at the Warriors, but does it mean change of philosophy? — So Chris Cohan’s reign has finally come to an end and years of faith can all of a sudden be restored in this once proud franchise? Wait just a minute. Show me something. Anything. I need some proof this time that things are gonna be different. How about a big free agent buy? Hmmm. Maybe use all that cash and spruce up for one of those NBA titles. I guy can dream, right?
- Biedrins vents about team over injury-filled season – by Rusty Simmons, San Francisco Chronicle
- Joe Lacob plots the Warriors’ architecture — by Tim Kawakami, San Jose Mercury News
4. The Oakland Raiders are really quiet — Is this a good thing? I mean, really. How can the silver and black be the butt of jokes if Tom Cable and the crew have them on a tight leash. I’m not sure I like these new Raiders. Good for them. Bad for guys like me.
- Young, talented, lots of defense … not so much offense — by Tim Kawakami, San Jose Mercury News
5. The Oakland A’s suck — At 58-60, and 8.5 games out in the American League West, they’re no Baltimore (42-78) but they might as well be. They’re 14.5 games outta the wildcard and, honestly, it’ll take a miracle for them to erase that deficit with 44 games remaining. My good friend Mando explained how tough it is for an A’s fan to be mad at the team in a brief text message. “As an organization, disappointing. As a team, young. But they fight really hard every game. They make due.” How’s Money Ball now Billy boy!!!
Am I missing a major theme in the Bay sports right now? Let me know in the comments.